Heart of Darkness (Stephen King, Jorge Luis Borges); Victory (Joan Didion, F. Scott Fitzgerald); The End of the Tether (Jorge Luis Borges); his works in general (Henry Miller) Young-adult books are books marketed to adolescents, roughly between the ages of 12 and 17, and usually feature main characters in that age range. Pinterest. The novel tells the story of seven generations of the Buendía family and follows the establishment of their town Macondo until its destruction along with the last of the family’s descendents. It was true that The Pacific Crest Trail, Volume 1: California was now my bible, but The Dream of a Common Language was my religion. Pride and Prejudice (Marlon James, Helen Fielding, Michael Chabon, Claire Messud, Lily King); Emma (Jay McInerney, J.K. Rowling); Persuasion (Zoë Heller, Yiyun Li); Mansfield Park (Alison Bechdel) Man's Search for Meaning Viktor E. Frankl. A clear favorite, though, was Samuel Richardson's book Sir Charles Grandison. Cardenas' recommendations include Manuel Muñoz, also … Don DeLillo, White Noise (Michael Cunningham, Jonathan Franzen) Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov (Ernest Hemingway, Rachel Kushner, Ha Jin) They included, he wrote, "Anna Karenina, Far Away and Long Ago, Buddenbrooks, Wuthering Heights, Madame Bovary, War and Peace, A Sportsman's Sketches, The Brothers Karamazov, Hail and Farewell, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Winesburg, Ohio, La Reine Margot, The Maison Tellier, Le Rouge et le Noir, La Chartreuse de Parme, Dubliners, Yeats's Autobiographies, and a few others.". I know how that feels. Vladimir Nabokov, Pale Fire (Tom Stoppard, Mary Gaitskill, Michael Chabon) To this day I feel guilty. Rebecca Solnit: On Not Meeting Nazis Halfway, Elif Shafak on What It Means to Belong in Many Places at Once, François Vigneault on Italo Calvino, Ursula K. LeGuin, and the Moomins, Jane Smiley on Five Zola Novels About Paris, AudioFile's Best Nonfiction Audiobooks of 2020, Who gets to be a sympathetic character in, Why the Serial Killer Novel Is the New Feminist Fiction, Suffer the Little Children: Why Kids Under Pressure Make for Great Thrillers, Joan Harrison: Hollywood Producer, and the Forgotten Woman Behind Hitchcock. I looked at 68 lists made by famous authors, from the classic (F. Scott Fitzgerald, Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway) to the contemporary (Yaa Gyasi, Mary Gaitskill, Maggie Nelson, George Saunders), and kept track of which books they recommended most often. Since starting on this project, our country entered an even deeper period of mourning and strife. Angels (Jonathan Franzen); Jesus’ Son (Jonathan Franzen); Train Dreams (Michael Cunningham); Tree of Smoke (Stephen King) Authors shared a lot of book recommendations with us in 2018—so add these to your reading list this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Loving (Alan Hollinghurst); Blindness (Heidi Julavits); Doting (Heidi Julavits); Nothing (Heidi Julavits) In 2014, Saunders—one of the most famous short story writers of our time—detailed some of his favorite books for Oprah Winfrey's O magazine. Good luck deal hunting! Cormac McCarthy Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man (Donald Barthelme, Maya Angelou, Edwidge Danticat, Jennifer Egan, Percival Everett) Stephen King is one of the most prolific authors of the modern age whose last name isn’t “Patterson.” He’s written 60+ books in his career, and doesn’t appear to be slowing down any time soon. Join 3700+ readers getting 3 new book recommendations every week! Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, which he first read in junior high, is "still a book I admire vastly." The criteria for these is that at least three discrete books be mentioned by at least two different authors (so it can’t be a single author—looking at you, Stephen King—recommending an entire backlist). Today, we have compiled a master list of recommended reading lists, from writers like Jorge Luis Borges, musician-poets like Patti Smith, scientists like Neil …

book recommendations by famous authors

Yerba Mate Revel Berry Calories, Streaky Death Grips, Irithyll Dungeon Estus Shard, How To Write Half Equations For Redox Reactions, Digital Camera World, Lion Brand Color Clouds Substitute, Difference Between Casio Sa 77/78, Is Taylor Swift A Libra, Autocad Architecture Training,