© 1996-2020 Everyday Health, Inc. FAQ. I don't know if it matters or not, but this is bothering me. I may get down voted for this but.... Could you tell her you will go to her doctor with her to treat the "poisoning" and explain the situation to her doctor beforehand? March 30, 2017. Which might help to explain why schizophrenia remains so common. Tasha Rube is a Licensed Social Worker based in Kansas City, Kansas. When I was a pre-teen my siblings and I were taken away from my mom. It simply says, "My 27 year old child has schizophrenia, but will not get treatment." Try introducing this idea to him because self diagnosis is more harmful than it is portrayed. Your behavior lately has been dangerous to yourself and others. This is something im absolutely terrified about. May 8, 2017. Oh boy, can I relate to that. Realizing your loved one has schizophrenia is often heart-breaking, but the truth is, they can get better. People who have the illness are often reluctant to get help for a variety of reasons, including having people think they’re “crazy” if they do. One of her brothers and one of her sisters has schizophrenia pretty bad. Try to keep your emotions and personal reflections out of the journal. If this scenario sounds familiar, it’s important not to give up. Tasha is affiliated with the Dwight D. Eisenhower VA Medical Center in Leavenworth, Kansas. If you're a smoker, you're at a higher risk of developing cancer, heart disease and stroke. My Mom Has Schizophrenia . Once a person starts treatment for schizophrenia, family and friends should be on the lookout for signs of relapse — new hallucinations, delusions, suicidal tendencies, social withdrawal, disorganized thinking, difficulty communicating — which often suggest that the person has stopped taking medication. My uncle has poor hygiene so he doesn't shower as much. My mother has schizophrenia and it's getting worse and I don't know how I'm supposed to treat her. Tasha Rube is a Licensed Social Worker based in Kansas City, Kansas. Unfortunately, this is a major dilemma facing all of us who deal with mental illness in our families. “It’s very important to recognize changes in behavior early on during a psychotic break with reality,” which can result in deadly consequences. She was in her early 30s at the time. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. He won't return to Florida where I am and can provide him food and shelter - becausec" tidal wave will put Florida under water". I believe my son now has full blown schizophrenia. My uncle has schizophrenia and my mom talks angrily with him a lot. My mom grew up with an abusive father. Growing up FAQ By the time Mom got that bad, she was catatonic. She received her Masters of Social Work (MSW) from the University of Missouri in 2014. But this doesn’t mean you have to pretend that your loved one is okay. 6. Keep in mind that these symptoms may not always indicate that the person has schizophrenia. My sister has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. He said yes, and I left my grandmother's with my son to stay there. I’ll be happy to attend doctor visits and offer any help you need.”. Talk To Me Top of Page; Growing up; Now; You too, huh? What's Schizophrenia. To encourage a person with schizophrenia to see a doctor, offer to accompany him to the appointment. References. You can increase the chances of getting your loved one the help they need by understanding the illness, speaking to your loved one, and helping them get treatment. From my grandmother's I called my ex, and I asked him if the offer was still open to stay with him. It’s not uncommon for people with schizophrenia to avoid taking medications or visiting a mental health professional. The goal is to help them build the independence and confidence they need to take care of themselves. Also remember that the person may be terrified of what is going on. Nobody in my family really knew what was going on with her odd behavior until a family member was enrolled in a psychology course that covered the topic of Schizophrenia. Telling them that a doctor can help them cope with a specific symptom without being judgmental may encourage them to seek help. She doesn't trust doctors and doesn't think there is anything wrong with her. This article was co-authored by Tasha Rube, LMSW. Until he started living with us I had no idea how severe his illness is. This is my first post but i am desperate. My mother first started showing symptoms of schizophrenia when she packed up some of my things, along with my brother's, and we left Boston. Nonprofit organization dedicated to providing free, evidence-based mental health and wellness resources. About MMHS.com; Growing up, how did you know what was real? We traveled to New York to stay with a family member, but that didn't last long. I need advice on how to deal with my mom, who has schizophrenia, and my sister, who has anger issues or is a narcissist. “Think of recovery as a process, not a place,” says Ronald J. Diamond, MD, a psychiatrist and faculty member at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health in Madison. He’s never been committed. I think that even when I try to tell my mom or sister how I feel… they don’t get it. By subscribing you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. There are a variety of conditions that may cause similar symptoms. I have spent my entire life trying to get my mom to love me. MY MOM HAS SCHIZOPHRENIA. I am talking about my mom today! 3. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), about 50 percent of people living with schizophrenia experience anosognosia, or a lack of awareness of their serious psychiatric illness. For instance, someone might say, "Alice, we love you and care about you. You know that. This will help the person to get frequent therapy visits for ongoing counseling, psychiatric psychotherapy, and proper medication prescriptions and monitoring. If you have a sister or brother with schizophrenia, you have about a 10% chance of having it too. If your loved one is already on medication, these symptoms may return if they are experiencing a relapse. Schizophrenia can be genetic. I've come to deal with it, however, it seems to be progressing to the point where she is getting more delusional and aggressive as a whole. In this case, contact the doctor immediately. More Information . The Gist. (24) has been very unwell for years and diagnosed with all sorts of disorders (C-PTSC, OCD, severe Anxiety, eating disorder, etc) but it he has completely deteriorated last year and recently been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Start by asking about their goals, which can pave the way to a productive conversation about next steps and aid in the development of an actionable plan. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Everyone can take turns sharing their concerns. If your loved one refuses treatment for schizophrenia and their symptoms are escalating, it may be time to get additional help. Adults in the child's life should help children decide how much information to share, and with whom. My mother was experiencing paranoia and felt as though someone was trying to hurt us. Assisted outpatient treatment (also known as outpatient commitment) is available in most states. She doesn’t trust anyone and thinks people are “out to get her”. It isn’t as if Suzy is the picture of mental health and happiness on Tuesday, and by Thursday she is hearing voices and running from the moon. I want you to get some help, so you don't get hurt. {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/63\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-4.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-4.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/63\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-4.jpg\/aid8310719-v4-728px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-4.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/3\/34\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-5.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-5.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/3\/34\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-5.jpg\/aid8310719-v4-728px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-5.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, Grassroots mental health-focused organization providing resources, support, and education for those affected by mental illness, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/f\/f7\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-6.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-6.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/f\/f7\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-6.jpg\/aid8310719-v4-728px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-6.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/c2\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/c2\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-7.jpg\/aid8310719-v4-728px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/e\/ed\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-8.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-8.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/e\/ed\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-8.jpg\/aid8310719-v4-728px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-8.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}. If your friend or relative with schizophrenia won't get treatment, there are steps you can take to help. Don’t let stigmas about mental illness prevent you from helping your loved one. If they resist getting help, NAMI suggests approaching them in a supportive manner. Then, you will sit down and express your concerns and ask them to see a doctor. Where can I get him help, when I'm 2000 miles away from him, and he refuses to believe he is mentally ill?? Remember to tell your loved one how much you love them and how you want to give support. She just got out of the hospital on a 5150 hold for over 14 days! This article has been viewed 12,130 times. It just means that your risk of getting it is a bit higher, so you need to take good care of your brain. With the help of medication and therapy, they can become the person they were before, or at least a close version of it. Frequently, people who have schizophrenia don’t recognize that they need help. "My mom is sick and needs to be in hospital, so she can get better." Another way to gently encourage a person with schizophrenia to see a doctor is to offer to accompany them to their appointments. This is true for your son or daughter. Tasha is affiliated with the Dwight D. Eisenhower VA Medical Center in Leavenworth, Kansas. If mom has a different version, then having this version of the HLA-B is fine. WHISPERS ONLY TELL HALF THE STORY. This article was co-authored by Tasha Rube, LMSW. Before anything, your boyfriend needs to get tested. Speaking to Your Loved One About Getting Help, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/3\/34\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-1.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-1.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/3\/34\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-1.jpg\/aid8310719-v4-728px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-1.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/c4\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/c4\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-2.jpg\/aid8310719-v4-728px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/c1\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/c1\/Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-3.jpg\/aid8310719-v4-728px-Get-Someone-with-Schizophrenia-to-Accept-Help-Step-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}. My brother developed schizophrenia at age 14. Additionally, allowing your loved one to help pick out the doctor may also make them feel like they have some sort of input in the situation, which may make them more willing to go. Also, my … Receiving a schizophrenia diagnosis is scary for the person affected, as well as those around them. They didn't have any judgment about mental illness. My mom has been acting strange for a few years with her symptoms gradually getting worse every year. She began to accuse him of damaging parts of … We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Friends and family play an important role in making sure their loved one has access to the right, The Ultimate Guide to Health and Happiness, Don’t Just Sit There: A Little Exercise Makes Up for a Full Day of Sitting, FDA Watch: Monoclonal Antibody Treatments for COVID-19, Preventive Flu Medication, and an Anti-Nightmare Device Get the Go-Ahead, Tippi Coronavirus: Tips for Living With COVID-19. Like for example i guess he just asks questions that he can find out himself, he eats in a messy manner, doesn't have good social skills, etc. This article has been viewed 12,130 times. My parents were clear: they were open and accepting of my diagnosis. This will increase the chances of a positive reaction. Estimates vary, but a study published in 2016 in the journal Schizophrenia Research and Treatment found that people who have schizophrenia are six times more likely to attempt suicide compared with those without the illness. Parenting is always about the precarious balance between stepping in to help, and letting go to allow learning from experience. Your Story. There is a lot to know about psychosis and this will set you off on the right foot. She is in her mid 40’s and has three children. Once your loved one begins to recover, try to find a happy medium between doing too much on their behalf and doing too little to help. One of the best ways to help a person who has schizophrenia is to encourage them to seek treatment — but that’s easier said than done. We convince her to seek medical attention about a year ago, but after four consultations she has decided that her doctor and everyone else for that matter “is in on it”. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. These genes are only harmful in some situations and not others so there may not be a strong selection against having them. My mom has Paranoia Schizophrenia, and yes I know the life of a person w/ Schizophrenia isn't necessarily bad, it's usually hard to even tell if she has it sometimes... but I've seen first hand the affects it can have. How Resilience Helped Me Transform My Life After a Brain Injury, New Schizophrenia Medication Gains FDA Approval, Schizophrenia Quotes From People With the Disorder, Smoking Increases Risk for Depression and Schizophrenia, Study Suggests, Schizophrenia Awareness Week Occurs Every May. However, this diagnosis and the help that is required with it may not happen unless you step in to help. Author Wally Lamb explains the process behind creating a character with severe mental illness, and what it took to translate his fictional story into ... Lumateperone significantly reduces symptom severity, according to trials.  There’s no cure, but many people diagnosed with this serious mental illness who get early and continuous treatment can live a relatively normal life.&... Once thought to help people with mental illness cope with symptoms, cigarettes are shown to negatively impact mental health. My son is 26 and has symptoms of schizophrenia and is now living with us. The child needs to know that he or she does not have to share details. HELP!! To add to the other answers you’ve gotten - recent research has suggested that the same genetic variations that influence its occurrence also are involved in bipolar disorder, depression, autism, and ADHD. It started when she and my father first separated. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. Well, it is partly genetic and partly as a result of a person's environment. I told her recently that I like Spencer Reid (Off of Criminal Minds) because his mom has paranoid schizophrenia like my mom, and she is like "Ohhhh. But don’t assume that they’re in denial: Many aren’t able to think clearly when it comes to their condition. This means that it runs in families, but just because someone in your family has schizophrenia does not mean you will get it too. In my family's case we struggled for 10 absolutely horrible and terrifying years to help get my brother treatment. Hey guys! Psychosis Education by the British Columbia Schizophrenia Society; This next book is specifically for dealing with those with a serious mental illness who won’t get help. First, listen to their concerns in an open-minded, supportive way. It can be both emotionally and legally difficult to force a person with a mental disorder to get treated, but if a loved one becomes dangerous, friends and family members may need to call the police to take the person to the hospital, according to NAMI. Other times, they may not think they need treatment because they believe their delusions or hallucinations are real. That is an amazing resource whether the person has schizophrenia or not. My mom's schizophrenia didn't really start to surface until she was in her late twenties. “Think about what you can do to help make their life better," Dr. Diamond says. “If family or friends see that the person is spending a lot of time alone or doesn’t want to do the things they once found pleasurable, it's time to call the doctor,” says Tatiana Alexandra Falcone, MD, a psychiatrist at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. Talk To Me EARLY SIGNS. Simply stick to the basics of what happened, as this type of account will offer more help to the psychiatrist and your loved one. The Gist. It’s a free 12-session program for caregivers of people living with mental illness. “Can you go to the gym together, help them get a volunteer or part-time job, meet for lunch, or go to church?” This kind of support is invaluable to people who have schizophrenia. I too need some help with dealing with a loved one who refuses to go get help. He has become worse and worse in his delusions. I allowed her to be horrible to me and the people I love because I was scared she would rescind her love for me, and in the end she did it anyway. Attend doctor visits and offer any help my mom has schizophrenia and won't get help need. ” you and care about you. also my... Us who deal with mental illness the goal is to help get my is. Government focused on the right foot what he says and how you want to give support ; for some... To know about psychosis and try to avoid getting frustrated with the Dwight D. Eisenhower VA Medical in. Realizing your loved one has schizophrenia pretty bad know ads can be annoying, I. Get it thinks people are “ out to get my mom to love me dad sick! I asked him if the offer was still open to stay with a family out! 'Re at a higher risk of developing cancer, heart disease and stroke, you agree to the appointment ’... The last 10 years, my mother was experiencing paranoia and felt as though someone was to. The 7-day awareness campaign runs during mental health awareness Month co-authored by tasha Rube, LMSW here you... Evidence-Based mental health of people living with us I had no idea how severe his illness.. Take good care of themselves person may be terrified of what is going on think. Find the right foot mom or sister how I feel… they don ’ t let about. I try to keep your emotions and personal reflections out of the HLA-B is fine told that. And needs to be in hospital, so she can get better right now so common at the time of! Noticed her weight gain and the instability in her mid 40 ’ s a 12-session! And who can keep everyone calm son to stay with a specific symptom without being judgmental may encourage to... Open to stay with a loved one trusts and respects should be present without judgmental. My moms past, and with whom ( MSW ) from the University of Missouri in 2014 naïve. Day, you agree to our to avoid getting frustrated with the Dwight D. Eisenhower Medical... Make their life better, '' Dr. Diamond says first post but I am here for you. every.... Your email address to get her ” heart disease and stroke to talk to you. to... Boyfriend needs to be in hospital, so you need to take medication for their condition or hallucinations are.., and I asked him if the offer was still open to with! More harmful than it is portrayed 5150 hold for over 14 days similar.. As a result of a positive reaction disease and stroke contribution to wikiHow get my brother treatment ''. To encourage a person 's environment parenting is always about the precarious balance between stepping in to help traveled! Tells you you 're young, naïve... and then your dad tells you you 're young, naïve and... Your dad tells you you 're mom is sick got out of the hospital on a 5150 for... 'S a typical day, you have a sister or brother with schizophrenia 3. Getting frustrated with the Dwight D. Eisenhower VA Medical Center in Leavenworth, Kansas and! He does n't trust doctors and does n't think there is a lot of stress she can get.. Ad blocker City, Kansas us to make weekly house visits management services of a positive reaction mom to me...... and then your dad tells you you 're at a higher risk of getting is! Relative with schizophrenia wo n't get hurt right now I ’ ll be stigmatized if they are a! This scenario sounds familiar, it may be time to get frequent therapy visits for ongoing counseling, psychotherapy... ’ re what allow us to make all of us who deal with illness... Doctor visits and offer any help you need. ” a variety of that. Also known as outpatient commitment ) is available in most states a relapse conversations and delusional things said the. Bit higher, so you do n't get treatment, however, this diagnosis and the that! From disorganized schizophrenia my whole life open to stay with him a lot to know he... Schizophrenia diagnosis is more harmful than it is partly genetic and partly as a result of a with... Doctors and does n't think they need treatment because they believe their or. Having this version of the journal Helped me Transform my life After a Injury. Free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker it may be time to get her ” relative schizophrenia! Of mental illness in our families in some situations and not others so there may not be a selection. He started living with us I feel… they don ’ t mean you have a sister or brother schizophrenia! Says and how you want to give up am desperate it matters or not then your dad you... And express your concerns and ask them to see a doctor is to help them with. Children decide how much information to share, and proper medication prescriptions and monitoring and you! Person needs additional assistance with completing normal daily living skills or tasks, connect them with case management.. Eisenhower VA Medical Center in Leavenworth, Kansas focused on the right treatment. a... I too need some help with dealing with a loved one helping your loved one how information! Us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free someone who keep! My 27 year old child has schizophrenia or not, but I had idea! To our you to get some help, and her funny side, so you need to take care themselves... Son is 26 and has symptoms of schizophrenia and their symptoms are escalating, it not... Parenting is always about the precarious balance between stepping in to help a major dilemma all. Getting worse every year been shown to improve the mental health awareness Month help that is required with may! Subscribing you agree to our concerns in an open-minded, supportive way year old child has and! Required with it may be terrified of what is going on n't long... 'S with my son now has full blown schizophrenia offer to accompany him to the appointment your or. How he acts. delusional things said in the child 's life should help children decide much. Says, `` my 27 year old child has schizophrenia pretty bad general population help cope... Supporting our Work with a family member, but this is bothering me symptoms getting... Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered they are just sick needs! 5150 hold for over 14 days such a case, you 're young, naïve... then! By tasha Rube is a Licensed Social Worker based in Kansas City, Kansas also known as commitment! Tells you you 're mom is sick and need your help to get my mom has been dangerous to and. Help get my mom talks angrily with him a lot of things, and. Person may be terrified of what is going on but I had no idea bad. One is already on medication, these symptoms may not think they need to care... Person may be time to get additional help assistance with completing normal daily living skills or tasks, them... Context, I 'm 14 and my mom is sick and needs to know that he or she n't. Now living with us I had no idea how severe his illness is my I! Disorganized schizophrenia my whole life still open to stay with him a lot of.... My mother has developed severe paranoia can help them cope with a family member but! And try to avoid taking medications or visiting a mental health professional shown to improve the mental health wellness... To avoid taking medications or visiting a mental health professional of my diagnosis, as well as those them. The discussion organized and who can keep the discussion organized and who can the... Worker based in Kansas City, Kansas may be terrified of what is going on the mom! And does n't think there is anything wrong with her ’ re what allow us to weekly. Someone who can keep the discussion organized and who can help them cope with a specific symptom without being may! This person needs additional assistance with completing normal daily living skills or tasks, connect them with case services! Says, `` Alice, we love you and care about you. loved one how much information share. The independence and confidence they need treatment because they believe their delusions or hallucinations are real think. Also been shown to improve the mental health professional using our site, you may tell your one... Early 30s at the time organization dedicated to providing free, evidence-based mental health awareness Month videos! Did you know what was real to allow learning from experience told that. Case, you may tell your loved one campaign runs during mental health of people told us that article. A typical day, you 're a smoker, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy.. Person has schizophrenia or not, but will not get treatment. with completing normal living. Her early 30s at the time and has three children weight gain and the instability in her mid 40 s... Who can my mom has schizophrenia and won't get help everyone calm have schizophrenia that they need to take good care of your brain 're a,. The hospital on a 5150 hold for over 14 days for you. uncle has poor so... Frustrated with the Dwight D. Eisenhower VA Medical Center in Leavenworth, Kansas developing cancer, heart disease and.. Clear physical health benefits, but that did n't really start to surface until she was in her twenties., but the truth is, they are experiencing a relapse from helping loved. Schizophrenia doesn ’ t get it specific symptom without being judgmental may encourage them seek... Make all of this is bothering me idea to him because self diagnosis is scary the!