Just recently the sister has started to hiss, growl, & fight with her brother every time he comes near her. There are cat trees everywhere, litter boxes on every floor, food and water within easy reach of all of them. I almost always enjoy these interactions and what they teach me about these fascinating creatures. http://www.catster.com/cat-behavior/stop-cats-fighting If a wildlife vet walks up to a lion and says "I'm going to sedate you, okay?" He of course fights back. Have used a spray bottle once or twice. What's going on? But even after a successful introduction, bullying can arise out of nowhere. They been together since birth, They are sisters. Your female cat needs to see the vet. My two cats, lifelong pals, are suddenly fighting like crazy - Answered by a verified Veterinarian We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. These pieces might help provide some insight: We think it's the smell from the vet's office. Young Cat. My younger boy (Max) has always playfully wrestled with my older male (Thomas) who has not really liked it, but tolerated it. Separate their resources. We have two cats who are siblings but not littermates. Provide additional perches. They used to be find of each other but have suddenly started fighting after a year and a half. The fifth one is a sweet black cat who doesn’t get involved. Cats should have food, water, and litter provided where they are isolated. Raised both with a bottle. It took a good week before Max wasn’t on high alert when in the kitchen (where the incident occurred). Any suggestions? Recently Benson has been stalking Bruno and will chase him away, and it is at the point Bruno will barely come out of the guest room anymore. Never let cats fight it out. The neutered cat has suddenly become more aggressive towards the intact male who is suddenly … She’s losing weight and hiding. It’s worked. Suddenly about two weeks ago, Max attacked Thomas. Very rarely are unprovoked cats aggressive toward people, but it is the norm for outdoor cats that do not know each other to engage in cat fights. This sounds almost exactly like my two boys. It’s not always like this and sometimes they start to groom each other but Mum doesn’t seem keen on having daughter near her. Joined Jun 6, 2004 Messages 22 Reaction score 1 Location Finland. They eat fine together, but as soon as that is over, the tension returns. They are now 6 years old and are usually inseparable. Aggression between household dogs can be difficult to treat. My guess is that there is something going on outside, and they are reacting to it. The majority of the time, the fighting involves intact same-sex cats and worsens during mating season—90 percent of instances of inter-cat aggression can be decreased or prevented by spaying or neutering cats before their first birthday. ... We’ll be watching TV and suddenly they start playing and the next moment they’re fighting. It just takes awhile (like a couple months at least) for them to get all their territorial stuff worked out. Also a hunter, who was taught much to my chagrin, to hunt by the aggressor. Required fields are marked *, You may use these HTML tags and attributes:
. “It’s a disaster waiting to happen for the littermates because they don’t get socialized to other dogs or people, let alone to their owners,” he said. © 2019 Belvoir Media Group. Give them separate and defined territories. Aggression between household dogs can be difficult to treat. Over lunch recently, veterinarian and dog behaviorist Dr. Ian Dunbar and I discussed raising sibling dogs. E.g. That they have not had a knock down drag out fight that leaves you with vet bills is also very promising. They will do a great job, I'm sure. Benson grew up with Bruno when we got him at 8 weeks old. You will need to identify the situations in which aggression arises and ensure that you are not encouraging a more subordinate dog to challenge the more confident dog. Intact males are particularly prone to aggressive behavior. What happened to turn your mild-mannered cat into Cujo? When cats who grow up together and never fight, suddenly begin to show aggressive behavior … Here is what I have found helpful in blending cats. Thank you for your question and trying to prevent the problem for the 2 kitties you have now. My efforts to prevent bullying have included: When Zorro was in the habit of chasing Jamie Bluebell, and when she seemed to be stressed by this, she gravitated to my office, where I spent a lot of time. Bubba’s Bad Advice: The Fear of Missing Out Is Ruling My Life. ; The lowest-ranking cat—often an older or infirm kitty—can become a target that's … What gives? There is something outside they want to confront, and if they can't they take it out on the nearest animal, which is each other. Have dealt with the bullying by saying ‘no.’ Sometimes confining Kiki to the basement for a few hours. http://www.catster.com/cat-behavior/cat-aggression The fight starts out verbal the female growls & hisses, ears back, hunched,& swatting at brother. by Ken Sparling One of our cats was at the vet for a couple days and is home now and his brother is afraid of him and aggressive toward him. Wow, I know this is almost a year late, but just came across your comment. Rescued: The Stories of 12 Cats, Through Their Eyes. Luna is 2 and Dave is 1. You will need to identify the situations in which aggression arises and ensure that you are not encouraging a more subordinate dog to challenge … milmol Posts: 3,535. they will be back to normal in no time. Keep Your House Smelling Good Without Hurting Your Cats. Then the fighting started and lasted over 15 years. You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer. So, I gave her the office and often shut Zorro out of it. According to Marilyn Krieger in her book Naughty No More!, the best cat trees have shelves that are not directly above each other and that allow cats to easily escape from the cat tree if needed. seeing who is stronger). But, have also considered rehoming daughter as it’s her that’s doing the chasing and not other way around. He freaked. If the bullying is not too intense — if it doesn’t resemble an all-out cat fight or the beginnings of one — I have redirected the cats’ attention by grabbing a toy once bullying begins. If the bullying behavior is mild, separate the cats, but make sure that separation is not a punishment. Driving with Cats: Ours for a Short Time. Krieger also suggests noting if there is a pattern to when or where bullying or aggression occurs and working around that. Doing anything but separating them will be messing with the natural order of things, i have the same problem its actually really normal! City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats: Help, my cats are suddenly fighting and urinating everywhere (kitten, male, kidney) User Name: Remember Me: Password Please register to … So is there an intact cat roaming around outside, or other wildlife that would get them into a defense or attack mode? Reduce competition between the cats by providing multiple, identical food bowls, beds and litter boxes in different areas of your house. I keep them separate at night and Mum will go up to her room to sleep in peace with no bother from daughter. This reintroduction started this past Friday and they’ve probably been free together a total of a couple of hours. Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Ray85, Nov 17, ... occasionally they fight like hell and the boy especially bullies and beats up on his sister. This is an absolute last resort as we love them both. What's the longest you've had your outdoor pet cat be gone for? Zoe has taken to urinating in puddles on dirty clothing and on the kitchen counters and on top of appliances. However, if those cats are separated for a period of time, then they do forget the other. The aggressor Kiki: Neutered Female, small black coated, nine years old. She has an excellent book on feline behavior and conflicts! Next is a spayed female. Never let the cats “fight it out.” Cats don’t resolve their issues through fighting, and the fighting usually just gets worse. I have two cats and sometimes they will start play fighting and it frequently ends up sounding bad, I even had to break them up a few times because fur was starting to get pulled off. Kiki runs at her and also stalks her much of the time. Best of luck and smart move on choosing the vet! The fighting begins Suddenly, a rivalry began to form between them. Their interaction slowly morphed from a slightly aggressive bullying dynamic to almost a flirting tease with an occasional bop in the face. Possible causes include: 1. Depression is indeed a possibility for cats that experience the major stress of the death of a sibling. She turns on her side as you rub her belly, and she kneads her paws in contentment. Sibling cats fighting - advice needed. In many instances, the unexpected attack results from redirected aggression when the aggressor … If the bullying behavior is more severe, Krieger suggests the cats might have to be slowly reintroduced, as if they were being introduced for the first time. This has been going on for five years, since Zoe was left in my garden as a kitten. It would be counter-productive for members of a group to fight with each other and risk injury. Is there a product we can use to get the smell out of our cat? If brother does not leave then they fight, fur flying, tails puffed the whole nine yards. I asked wehther bullying behavior included a situation I’ve sometimes seen where one cat will jump another, and then a third cat will also jump that other cat. Defensive … Had 2 sibling cats that have lived together for 5 years and he said that they never seriously fought. http://www.catster.com/cat-behavior/cat-fight-sounds-what-a-real-cat-fight-sounds-like I go out there and turn the lights on and they're going at each other furiously while a black cat sits outside the window looking inside. Cats fight naturally, its part of their social structure. How to Stop a Cat Fight When a cat fight starts, your first instinct may be to yell, clap, or break out the water gun. What have you tried to stop or prevent it? Sometimes it can take you by surprise, especially if sibling cats start suddenly fighting. Aggressive cat towards sibling cat after vet visit. If you have multiple cats in your household, then you have probably witnessed the occurrence of little fights or aggression among your feline family. Mum won’t come near me when daughters on me. What do you think of the answers? According to Pam Johnson-Bennett a feline behavior expert, the social hierarchy is dynamic and it is common for cats to start a challenge in an effort to get better privileges. You are doing the right thing by taking your cat to the vet this week. She’d often sit behind me on my chair. Usually, things between the cats have gone very smoothly. when we had to take the time to separate the cats. I do have two male cats that suddenly hate each other. We’re lucky in that we have a lot of space for the cats to be by themselves when needed. Cats are sensitive to smells. There is no question that either of them will be re-homed. The average cat-owning household has at least two cats, some many more. A large fenced outside area. Am I hurrying this situation? I tried petting one and then the other for the scent. When a new cat comes into the household, I introduce that cat as slowly as the situation calls for, even if it takes months. Separate their … Originally it was one a month, mainly at night, but has now progressed to almost … I could be that your two are fighting to be be the top cat… Interrupt aggression with a loud clap of your hands or spray from a water gun.